Skip to main content

From bump to baby, to baby with bump

If only my only worry that day was going to be how I would get through an entire day without seeing my baby.

On Monday 3rd April I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock for the first time in 9 months,(and no I don't mean my little human alarm clock that cries for her morning bottle). It was time for me to return to work and I was in bits. It was with a heavy heart and full on tears and snots that I had left Maisie with her granny the night before in order to start my first day back at work fresh and ready. I had thought that with all the anxiety and worries I had about returning to work and being able to step back into a role that didn't involve singing nursery rhymes and changing dirty nappies, that most of my worries about Maisie would be singing a soft tune in the background. But I was wrong.

For the most part of the day I found myself wandering about aimlessly not knowing quite what to do with myself. I felt like I had completely forgot how to work, like all my previous abilities had gone. If I'm honest I felt lost. My arms were missing the weight of my baby, my clothes were missing vomit or breakfast remains and my heart was missing Maisie. By 11.30 I thought there was no way I was going to make it to 6 to see her little face. My mind kept thinking back on the past 9 months and all our little days spent just the two of us and it filled me with both joy and sadness. What I wouldn't give to relive those 9 months again, (especially now). 




I did manage to stick it out though and at 5.45 I was skipping out the back gates with an excitement I will never forget. Go me!! I survived!! When I arrived to collect Maisie I embraced her so quickly and I genuinely could have cried with relief to see her face. But that's when the worries about my day seemed very insignificant to what lay ahead.

My mother-in-law asked me, 'have you noticed anything different about Maisie's tummy?' What?? When she told me that she noticed her tummy to be rather enlarged I first of all thought its nothing. Maisie is a very finely made up little thing, she has long thin limbs but has always had a well rounded wee tummy. But when she was adamant that something seemed unusual I laid Maisie down, stripped off her clothes and took a look. Honestly, my heart actually stopped beating for a minute. On her tummy was a significant lump protruding from her left side. It was obvious, large and hard. I tried to play it cool and not over react. I have a tendency to be 'a glass half empty' person and I couldn't allow the thoughts that initially came into my head take over me. We discussed that first thing in the morning I would get an emergency appointment at the doctors and if that wasn't possible I would take her straight to hospital to get her checked. I cant speak for my in-laws but I think that on some level we all knew something big was coming.

That night I never slept a wink. Its funny how all the worries I had about work, the mistakes I had made when I was there and the anxiety about how I would do it all again were gone. Replaced instead with worries about what was happening to my baby. How did I not notice the lump before? Was it there yesterday? Last week? Did I just miss it? How could I not know there was something wrong with my girl? What is it,  what is it,  what is it???

Part of me wishes I never knew because I could never have been prepared for what was about to come the next day and my heart has been breaking every day since. 


Wendy




Comments

  1. Wendy this is very good reading. it is a great way of catching up on Maisies progress
    Stay well baby Maisie and im sending you lots of kisses
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life after cancer. Part 1

Life after cancer! What do you imagine it is like? Second chances and happy hearts? New beginnings and grabbing life with both hands? Well, to some degree it absolutely is, I see that in Maisie almost on a daily basis. But there is another side to it, a side which isn't so bright and beautiful as the impact of the trauma begins to show. That's what I see in me. So I will write this chapter of our lives in two parts, of course beginning with our wonderful Maisie. Going into the New Year cancer free was an amazing feeling, and its almost as if Maisie knew and understood because her new words were 'happy, happy, happy,' which she repeated over and over. We noticed that as her energy levels began to build so did her smile, her laugh and her strength. Maisie was starting to be on her feet a lot more as the strength built in her little legs so we decided to make a day of it and take her shopping for her first pair of shoes, (crawlers). With the restrictions of treatmen

Life isn't always perfect, but your outfit can be!!!

Sometimes, when things are hard and seeming hopeless, its difficult to see beyond what you are facing, like things will never change and it will never get better. I've been there many times over the past year and its a dark and scary place. But, there is a little saying that I've told myself a hundred times since becoming a mother and I know I will tell myself it a hundred times more over the coming years, and its this..."this too shall pass." Because nothing lasts forever. On the morning of Tuesday 14th November I woke with a sense of disbelief. I couldn't quite believe that we had reached this day, that it had come, it was here and we were about to live it. Just another day to most people I'm sure, but to us it was a day that was so significant, so defining, and so important to Maisie's' journey and her life. Today was to be the end. Today was to be her last chemotherapy treatment.   I woke her from her slumber that morning and I held her

The promise of change.

Seasons are a marker of time. They are a sign of change, growth, of giving way to new life, and a comfort in knowing that as one season ends another one simply begins. As our summer came to an end so did the warm days, the long bright nights and the fully blossomed trees, giving way to cooler temperatures, different colours and a promise that things were going to be different. I was hoping that as the leaves of summer began to change, crisp and fall away, so would the isolation and restrictions of chemotherapy. You see, this new season was promising more than cool cosy nights with Autumn coloured leaves. For us, it was signalling the beginning of the end of Maisie's treatment. We started the month of October counting down in single figures the weeks we had left to endure this way of life, hoping with all of our might that we would reach that final day. So with this being our focus and me having the good old saying of "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" ringing i