Skip to main content

Escape to the country.

At 4.AM on Friday morning Maisie woke hungry. I gave her a bottle which she quickly guzzled and she drifted back off to sleep. I sat watching her for a while; her eyes shut, her mouth open, her little chest rising and falling with every breath, so peaceful and perfect. But, there on her neck, red and starting to bruise, were the small but significant marks to remind me that everything wasn't perfect. Our lives were changing and being taken in a new direction, one where we were uncertain of the final destination. And just when I thought I could not possibly cry anymore, the tears started coming, fear being released with every drop that fell from my lashes.

The surgeon came around early that morning to see how Maisie managed through the night. He said that if we were feeling up to it we could go home over the weekend as we waited for the results of the biopsy. A part of me wanted to lift Maisie from the cot right then and run and not look back but the other part of me was scared. Scared that something would happen if I did. I was so fearful of what was going on with my baby, so uncertain about this whole situation and if I'm being honest I was doubtful that I could look after her, protect her, keep her from harm. That feeling of being the worst mother in the world was hitting me hard and I couldn't shake it off. 

Once I was showered and had a cup of tea we discussed that it would be better for Maisie, and us all, to be at home. The hospital staff must have seen the stress and worry on my face so they suggested that Maisie's bed could be put on suspension just in case I felt the need to come back. So Maisie got her treatment line flushed, her dressing changed, the line in her hand removed and we were pushing her out of the ward at lunch time. 

When we got home I was overcome with a feeling of needing to grab hold of and make the most of every day we had together. It hit me that I left home on Tuesday morning to go to the doctors with my 'healthy' beautiful baby only to be returning home 3 days later with a possible cancer diagnoses hanging over us. How did that happen? If that's not enough to make you value every day, to make each day count, to realise that you dont know what lies ahead or what hand you are going to be dealt next, then nothing will. I intended to spend the weekend making the best memories with our little bear, to see this time we had as a gift and to live these days blissfully unaware of what lay ahead before receiving the dreaded results on Tuesday. 

The sun was shining on Saturday morning and after having some family visit we went to see friends on their farm. We had been meaning to take Maisie up to the farm to see the newborn lambs but never got round to it, so today seemed like the day to do it. 






To our friends, making us a bite of lunch, having a ride around the fields in the quad and sending us home with some delicious home cooked meals may not have seemed like a big deal or any trouble, but to us it was everything. The fresh air eased my mind, the pace of the day slowed my thoughts and the company made me realise how lucky we were to have the people we do in our lives. For those few hours we laughed, smiled and felt like a normal family and I will always be grateful to my friends for giving me the chance to feel that just when I needed it the most.

The weather was still holding up for us as we left the farm so we decided to continue with our day and take a trip to Ballycastle and have chips by the sea. It was glorious. To anyone who hasn't been to Ballycastle beach it is absolutely beautiful but it is very difficult to walk across as it is made up a lots of pebbles and stones. So unable to take the pram I carried Maisie in my arms and we ventured out for a little stroll just as the sun began to set. As we walked I watched her little face which was glowing from the light of the setting sun, her two little white teeth were visible through her big smile and I could feel the warmth of her body next to mine. In those moments she was not sick, she was not unwell, she did not have a tumour, she did not have 'cancer', she was just my beautiful and happy little girl. She was perfect, my everything and I did not want this time to end. 



But it did. Just like the sun finally set on that day, life as we knew it did too. Just like the beach which lay open, outstretched in front us uneven and bumpy, was the path we found ourselves on a few days later. Long and uncertain, rough and unsteady and not at all carefree. 


Wendy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life after cancer. Part 1

Life after cancer! What do you imagine it is like? Second chances and happy hearts? New beginnings and grabbing life with both hands? Well, to some degree it absolutely is, I see that in Maisie almost on a daily basis. But there is another side to it, a side which isn't so bright and beautiful as the impact of the trauma begins to show. That's what I see in me. So I will write this chapter of our lives in two parts, of course beginning with our wonderful Maisie. Going into the New Year cancer free was an amazing feeling, and its almost as if Maisie knew and understood because her new words were 'happy, happy, happy,' which she repeated over and over. We noticed that as her energy levels began to build so did her smile, her laugh and her strength. Maisie was starting to be on her feet a lot more as the strength built in her little legs so we decided to make a day of it and take her shopping for her first pair of shoes, (crawlers). With the restrictions of treatmen

Life isn't always perfect, but your outfit can be!!!

Sometimes, when things are hard and seeming hopeless, its difficult to see beyond what you are facing, like things will never change and it will never get better. I've been there many times over the past year and its a dark and scary place. But, there is a little saying that I've told myself a hundred times since becoming a mother and I know I will tell myself it a hundred times more over the coming years, and its this..."this too shall pass." Because nothing lasts forever. On the morning of Tuesday 14th November I woke with a sense of disbelief. I couldn't quite believe that we had reached this day, that it had come, it was here and we were about to live it. Just another day to most people I'm sure, but to us it was a day that was so significant, so defining, and so important to Maisie's' journey and her life. Today was to be the end. Today was to be her last chemotherapy treatment.   I woke her from her slumber that morning and I held her

The promise of change.

Seasons are a marker of time. They are a sign of change, growth, of giving way to new life, and a comfort in knowing that as one season ends another one simply begins. As our summer came to an end so did the warm days, the long bright nights and the fully blossomed trees, giving way to cooler temperatures, different colours and a promise that things were going to be different. I was hoping that as the leaves of summer began to change, crisp and fall away, so would the isolation and restrictions of chemotherapy. You see, this new season was promising more than cool cosy nights with Autumn coloured leaves. For us, it was signalling the beginning of the end of Maisie's treatment. We started the month of October counting down in single figures the weeks we had left to endure this way of life, hoping with all of our might that we would reach that final day. So with this being our focus and me having the good old saying of "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" ringing i