Skip to main content

Finding a way to cope.

In life we all face difficult times, some trivial and some tragic. Some problems are quickly solved and gone while others take time and can leave a lasting mark. There are some things that we have no control over and many more that we have no way to change. However, in all situations we do have a choice in how we react. There is no right or wrong way to deal with difficult challenges, everyone feels in different ways and everyone heals in different ways. All you can do is find a way that works for you.

Going through those four weeks of chemo was a great distraction from what lay ahead of us. I made myself become obsessive over cleaning, enjoy and embrace every smile that Maisie made and focus on getting through each day one day at a time. Maisie made this possible for me because she handled her chemo so well. I could count on one hand the number of times she vomited, had a temperature or had unplanned hospital visits. Most days she managed to keep the colour in her face, she held onto every little hair and eyelash that she had and the lump on her side had pretty much disappeared. So with her looking and doing so well I didn't allow myself to think of what was waiting at the end of the four weeks. Denial was my chosen remedy and it had worked up until then. 

However, when she received her last chemo treatment my ability to stay in denial was no longer an option. I could no longer deny that the following week she was going to be admitted into hospital for her surgery. All the thoughts and feelings that I had been pushing down and avoiding for the past few weeks came bubbling up and spilling out of me. I was drenched in fear and overcome with worry. As with every surgery, there are various possible risks but there is always one ultimate risk that makes your heart stop beating when you hear it and I cant even type out the words. I knew it could happen. She was only a tiny baby, nine months old, with a large cancerous tumour, undergoing major surgery, and the very worst case scenario was a possibility and I knew I wasn't strong enough to deal with it. I couldn't handle the thought that her little life could be over before it even had a chance to start. 

They say a problem shared is a problem halved, but a problem of this magnitude was not going to be easily broken down. Family and friends were brilliant support to us but no-one really and truly understands how it feels for Keith and I as parents to face what were facing. And I'm glad they dont understand, because if they did it would mean they too have been through this situation and this is something I wish no parents should ever have to feel. I knew that I needed help. I needed someone or something bigger and greater than me, someone or something that I could find comfort in and seek refuge in. For me that person was God and the act of Baptism. That was my way to cope when my body was being crippled with fear and my world was falling apart.

Now I know theologically it made no difference to have Maisie baptised before her surgery, I knew it wasn't going to save her. But what it did do was give me comfort in knowing that she belonged to a church family, that she was a part of something bigger and greater than our family circle, that she had the grace of God upon her and it let me believe that during surgery she would be held in Gods hands when my arms could not physically hold her. Now a lot of people may disagree with me in saying this or disagree with my reasons for doing this, but for me at that time it was what I needed to do to get myself through. 

The understanding, acceptance and compassion we received from the church is something that I will honestly never forget. We were welcomed into the church with open arms and made feel very much a part of the church family. Because Maisie was going through treatment and open to risk of infection we couldn't have the baptism during a normal church service, so on the Sunday afternoon before her surgery the minister allowed us to have a private ceremony where only our parents were present. It was a small, intimate and emotionally filled service and it was beautiful. Although the significance of why we chose to get her baptised on this day will never be forgotten and it will always lye heavy in the memories of that day, I will always look back on it with love in my heart. The day Maisie May got baptised and the day I found a little bit of strength and hope.



Wendy.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life after cancer. Part 1

Life after cancer! What do you imagine it is like? Second chances and happy hearts? New beginnings and grabbing life with both hands? Well, to some degree it absolutely is, I see that in Maisie almost on a daily basis. But there is another side to it, a side which isn't so bright and beautiful as the impact of the trauma begins to show. That's what I see in me. So I will write this chapter of our lives in two parts, of course beginning with our wonderful Maisie. Going into the New Year cancer free was an amazing feeling, and its almost as if Maisie knew and understood because her new words were 'happy, happy, happy,' which she repeated over and over. We noticed that as her energy levels began to build so did her smile, her laugh and her strength. Maisie was starting to be on her feet a lot more as the strength built in her little legs so we decided to make a day of it and take her shopping for her first pair of shoes, (crawlers). With the restrictions of treatmen

Life isn't always perfect, but your outfit can be!!!

Sometimes, when things are hard and seeming hopeless, its difficult to see beyond what you are facing, like things will never change and it will never get better. I've been there many times over the past year and its a dark and scary place. But, there is a little saying that I've told myself a hundred times since becoming a mother and I know I will tell myself it a hundred times more over the coming years, and its this..."this too shall pass." Because nothing lasts forever. On the morning of Tuesday 14th November I woke with a sense of disbelief. I couldn't quite believe that we had reached this day, that it had come, it was here and we were about to live it. Just another day to most people I'm sure, but to us it was a day that was so significant, so defining, and so important to Maisie's' journey and her life. Today was to be the end. Today was to be her last chemotherapy treatment.   I woke her from her slumber that morning and I held her

The promise of change.

Seasons are a marker of time. They are a sign of change, growth, of giving way to new life, and a comfort in knowing that as one season ends another one simply begins. As our summer came to an end so did the warm days, the long bright nights and the fully blossomed trees, giving way to cooler temperatures, different colours and a promise that things were going to be different. I was hoping that as the leaves of summer began to change, crisp and fall away, so would the isolation and restrictions of chemotherapy. You see, this new season was promising more than cool cosy nights with Autumn coloured leaves. For us, it was signalling the beginning of the end of Maisie's treatment. We started the month of October counting down in single figures the weeks we had left to endure this way of life, hoping with all of our might that we would reach that final day. So with this being our focus and me having the good old saying of "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" ringing i