Skip to main content

One Last Day.

On the Monday morning when we woke the sky was blue and the sun was shining, almost like the universe knew that we needed it to be a good day. With Maisie due to be admitted to the hospital the next day we were keen to spend one last day with her like a 'normal' family. One last day where she still looked healthy and happy, and where she didn't have the physical mark of surgery sketched forever on her perfect little body as a constant reminder of the battle she faced. One last day where we were all together and all enjoying life. We didn't know what way the surgery was going to go, how she would recover, or what scale of treatment awaited us following the surgery. There was so much that would be happening in the week ahead that we would have no control over and we knew it was going to be difficult, stressful and emotional. But what we did have was that one day. I wanted to embrace it, enjoy it as much as I could and create the happiest of memories so that no matter what happened in the week to come I could look back and know we made the most of the time that we had. That we spent one last day together as a family, smiling together and loving each other.


We decided to take Maisie to the People's Park, (this is where I took her on our first ever walk together when she was only 8 days old, so it seemed appropriate), to feed the ducks, have a little picnic and an ice cream....or three. On the way we picked up Granny and Granda who are Maisie's biggest supporters and a pillar of strength for Keith and I,  and it was smiles and giggles all round. What I will remember from that day was the sun warming our skin, ice cream cooling our tongues, feeding the ducks but Maisie having more interest in watching the pigeons, walking side by side with my husband and finding comfort in the familiar warmth and strength of his hand and the little cheeky grin of our girl. 

Going to bed that night the joy of the day was still upon my face but the fear of the next few days weighed very heavy on my heart. Is this really going to be our 'one last day?' Difficult to ask, even more difficult to feel but it is reality none the less. 

Wendy.





   










Comments

  1. Wendy what a brace and beautiful post! There are no words that will make you feel any better. Just know that so many people are willing Maisie well. Write it all down... the negative as well as the positive and one day you will all look back on it and Maisie will know what a fantastic family she has. This WILL pass. Maisie will be well . Sending you all my love xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Confirming suspicions.

At 4.AM the next morning after a few hours of restless and uncomfortable sleep, I woke to the unfamiliar sounds of the hospital ward. I looked across and saw my beautiful little girl fast asleep with her mouth open and her wee legs hanging through the gaps in the cot. For a second it actually made me giggle and then the realisation of why she was lying there came back. I then felt guilty for having a giggle, I felt guilty for not being able to protect her from this, and I felt guilty that I hadn't noticed. What kind of mother was I? The guilt swamped my body in an unbearable physical weight and unable to move by it, I lay there crying silently to myself until my head felt like it was going to burst and my throat was sore from trying to contain my sobs. I lifted my phone and frantically scrolled through every picture I had of Maisie desperately looking to see if I could find the lump in any of them. Even though we had been informed that with the type of tumour they suspected Maisi...

Hoping for four and not any more!!

Driving to Belfast the next morning to start a new round of chemotherapy was a heart breaking reminder that this nightmare was not over. That even after all the challenges and battles Maisie has fought and won so far, the cancer war was still going on. Today was not only a trip for chemotherapy either, today was the day we were expecting to hear the pathology report and the anxiety could be felt amongst us all. Apart from Maisie who was still smiling. Up until now we had no indicator as to what stage Maisie's cancer was at and we only had a vague idea of the type of cancer cells that were present thanks to the biopsy. So until the tumour was removed and went to the pathologists we had no solid idea of what type of treatment plan Maisie was going to have to endure following surgery. The very best outcome we could hear today was that the tumour would be completely dead of all cancer cells but that was a tad optimistic and a bit too much to ...

From bump to baby, to baby with bump

If only my only worry that day was going to be how I would get through an entire day without seeing my baby. On Monday 3rd April I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock for the first time in 9 months,(and no I don't mean my little human alarm clock that cries for her morning bottle). It was time for me to return to work and I was in bits. It was with a heavy heart and full on tears and snots that I had left Maisie with her granny the night before in order to start my first day back at work fresh and ready. I had thought that with all the anxiety and worries I had about returning to work and being able to step back into a role that didn't involve singing nursery rhymes and changing dirty nappies, that most of my worries about Maisie would be singing a soft tune in the background. But I was wrong. For the most part of the day I found myself wandering about aimlessly not knowing quite what to do with myself. I felt like I had completely forgot how to work, like all my previou...