Skip to main content

SHE DID IT!!!!

 
As we entered the month of December, with Christmas just around the corner, conversations everywhere were about Christmas presents, Santa lists, buying this and buying that, wishing for this thing and hoping for that thing. As children wrote their lists and posted them off to Santa with a sure belief and faith that they would receive what they wanted on Christmas morning, I wished with all my heart that it could be that simple for us.

Dear Santa,

         I have been the very best girl this year. I was strong even when my body was weak, I was brave even when I had every reason to be scared, I smiled every day and I made my mummy and daddy very proud of me. All I want for Christmas this year is to be cancer free, I have fought so hard and the gift of my health and my future would be really good. If I could also get my broviac line removed from my chest and be allowed an actual bath with all the bubbles I could handle, that would also make me very happy.

Thank you Santa,

             Lots of love from Maisie May xx

If I could have posted this and sold everything I owned down to the very last scrap of clothing on my back to pay Santa, I would have done it. But it just wasn’t that simple. It wasn’t that easy. This was one wish that couldn’t be bought. Following Maisie’s final MRI we knew that all we could do was offer ourselves up to God, to put all our faith and trust in him and to hope that He would hear and answer our prayers. The doctors had done everything in their power, we had done everything we could and Maisie had fought with everything she had, so all we could do was wait.

We were told that it would probably be three weeks for the results to come back to us which would take us up to the week of Christmas. So, when our consultant rang us at our home the very next day, panic and fear struck my heart. As my husband answered the phone I lifted Maisie from the floor where she was happily playing with her toys, I held her tight in my arms and I whispered in her ear, “Whatever happens little one, mummy is here and everything is going to be OK.” I rocked Maisie back and forth and I paced the floor as I listened to the consultant’s voice echo from the phone not sure what I was going to hear.

“Maisie’s MRI results show NO evidence of disease.”

I looked at my husband not daring to believe what I had heard. Did he say Maisie was cancer free? Did he just say our girl had beaten cancer???? My husbands face told me that I had heard him correctly. His eyes were glassy and the relief and happiness in his heart was evident in his smile. Our girl had done it. She had really, truly and honestly done it.

The face of a winner.

Its funny, if I had ever allowed myself to think about how I would have reacted when I received that news I’m sure I would have imagined myself jumping around the house, singing and cheering, laughing and crying in equal measure. But in reality, I wasn’t. When my husband got off the phone the three of us stood hugging in the living room and I felt frozen. Confused, overwhelmed and in total disbelief. Did that actually just happen? I wanted so bad to believe it was true but my head and my heart were in pieces and I struggled to take it in. I spent the best part of an hour running through the house, tearing open every drawer, looking through every piece of paper for the number of our consultant to phone him back. Tell me again, what did you say? Repeat yourself, word for word. But I couldn’t find the number. I couldn’t contact him. My husband took my hands, looked me in the eye and told me to believe it. It was the news we had wanted to hear for the past 9 months, the news we needed to hear, the news we had hoped and prayed for. And not only that, but Maisie was also scheduled for an appointment to get her line removed in four days’ time. God had received our prayers and they had been answered, all our Christmas wishes had come true.

This next part sounds completely unbelievable but I swear to you its true. One evening in December, every year, Santa goes through our village on his sleigh. He waves and rings his bell as he passes your house and it is such a magical sight. And it just so happened, that night was his night to arrive. Just before we put Maisie to bed the three of us stood at our front door and we waved and cheered as Santa passed us by. And that’s when it hit me that this news was true. Santa came that night to prove to me that Christmas had really come early for us, miracles do happen and wishes do come true. For the first time in Maisie’s life she was going to bed cancer free. Our girl really had done it, Maisie had fought and she had WON!!!!!!

 

Wendy. The proudest mummy in the world.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life after cancer. Part 1

Life after cancer! What do you imagine it is like? Second chances and happy hearts? New beginnings and grabbing life with both hands? Well, to some degree it absolutely is, I see that in Maisie almost on a daily basis. But there is another side to it, a side which isn't so bright and beautiful as the impact of the trauma begins to show. That's what I see in me. So I will write this chapter of our lives in two parts, of course beginning with our wonderful Maisie. Going into the New Year cancer free was an amazing feeling, and its almost as if Maisie knew and understood because her new words were 'happy, happy, happy,' which she repeated over and over. We noticed that as her energy levels began to build so did her smile, her laugh and her strength. Maisie was starting to be on her feet a lot more as the strength built in her little legs so we decided to make a day of it and take her shopping for her first pair of shoes, (crawlers). With the restrictions of treatmen

Life isn't always perfect, but your outfit can be!!!

Sometimes, when things are hard and seeming hopeless, its difficult to see beyond what you are facing, like things will never change and it will never get better. I've been there many times over the past year and its a dark and scary place. But, there is a little saying that I've told myself a hundred times since becoming a mother and I know I will tell myself it a hundred times more over the coming years, and its this..."this too shall pass." Because nothing lasts forever. On the morning of Tuesday 14th November I woke with a sense of disbelief. I couldn't quite believe that we had reached this day, that it had come, it was here and we were about to live it. Just another day to most people I'm sure, but to us it was a day that was so significant, so defining, and so important to Maisie's' journey and her life. Today was to be the end. Today was to be her last chemotherapy treatment.   I woke her from her slumber that morning and I held her

The promise of change.

Seasons are a marker of time. They are a sign of change, growth, of giving way to new life, and a comfort in knowing that as one season ends another one simply begins. As our summer came to an end so did the warm days, the long bright nights and the fully blossomed trees, giving way to cooler temperatures, different colours and a promise that things were going to be different. I was hoping that as the leaves of summer began to change, crisp and fall away, so would the isolation and restrictions of chemotherapy. You see, this new season was promising more than cool cosy nights with Autumn coloured leaves. For us, it was signalling the beginning of the end of Maisie's treatment. We started the month of October counting down in single figures the weeks we had left to endure this way of life, hoping with all of our might that we would reach that final day. So with this being our focus and me having the good old saying of "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" ringing i